Influenza or flu, just like Covid-19, is a viral contagious respiratory illness. You can prevent this illness by getting a flu shot, and now you can easily book flu shot appointment in New West. Influenza attacks your respiratory system, including your throat, nose, lungs, and causes many symptoms. Some are deadlier than others. The only difference between influenza and covid-19 is that they both are caused by different viruses. Influenza is also commonly known as flu. While for some people, they can get over the flu on their own. But for others, getting the flu can worsen their health.
What are the Symptoms?
From the first glance, the flu has all the basic symptoms of any common cold. These symptoms include a runny nose, sneezing, and sore throat. Whereas in the cold, the symptoms develop over time, flu symptoms can be seen more quickly. Plus, you feel sicker with the flu.
Here are some of the symptoms of the flu:
- Rainy nose
- High fever
- Muscle aches
- Chills and cold sweats
- Dry, persistent cough
- Shortness of breath
- Feeling tired and weak
- Sore throat
- Eye pain
- Vomiting and stomach aches.
What Causes The Flu?
The influenza virus is highly contagious. They can spread through human touch or the air in the form of droplets. If an infected patient coughs, sneezes, or talks, the viruses can spread from their bodies to ours. You can also get affected by the influenza virus from birds and animals as well. The virus is rapidly changing its strains. That’s why even if you have taken a flu shot previously; you should take another dose every year to keep yourself protected.
What are the Complications of Flu?
Flu does not affect young and healthy people as much as it affects people with severe health conditions and other health issues.
Usually, you recover from the flu within a week or two and no more than that. However, in the case of children and older people, there could be some complications that may include:
- Asthma flare-ups
- Heart problems
- Ear infections
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome
- Lungs issues
What are the Risk factors in flu?
Few risk factors can increase the complications in your health when you get infected with flu:
- Age: Children between the age of 6 months to 5 years old and adults 65 years old or older are more vulnerable to flu.
- Weakened immune system: People who are taking cancer treatments, steroids, anti-depression drugs or have done organ transplant, or have blood cancer, or HIV/AIDS tend to have weaker immune systems. This can increase the risk of getting the flu.
- Chronic illnesses: Many patients have chronic diseases like lung diseases such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease, nervous system diseases, metabolic disorders, airway abnormality, kidney, liver or blood disease, etc. can increase the complications of influenza.
- Pregnancy: Pregnant women are most vulnerable to influenza since while they are in pregnancy, their immune system gets weaker, and they are more likely to develop influenza-related complications after delivery.
You can easily prevent the influenza virus by getting a flu shot every year. Here at prescriptionxpress.ca, you can easily book a flu shot appointment in New West. We offer free home delivery and home visits, so you don’t have to go outside to get a flu shot. Visit our website for more details.